CHANGANACHERRY SOCIAL SERVICE SOCIETY (CHASS) is the official organ of the Archdiocese of Changanacherry for social concerns and development interventions addressing the weaker sections of the society irrespective of caste, creed or community. Besides the officialdom in the Archdiocesan setup, the Society has been granted NGO status under the charitable provisions of the Government Act (Travancore- Cochin Literary, Scientific & Charitable Societies Registration Act XII of 1955). Founded in the year 1966, the Society has always remained as a pioneering organization all the while in social innovations and research based rural development services.
The Society has a democratic set up having its General Body constituted of village representatives, parish priests, subject experts, and specially nominated persons by the chairman Archbishop. In this respect, the Society is built upon a substantial people’s organizational base at the village level; the important among them are Village Development
Councils (Local Social Service Units), Mahilasamajams, Credit Unions, Self-Help Groups and Farmers Clubs. The Society has got a large operational area in the south and south central parts of Kerala, spread over 5 civil districts viz. Kottayam, Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta, Kollam and Thiruvananthapuram. The operational area is divided into 15 regions consisting of 148 local units for effective management and active involvement.
- Organize the target population as functional groups as well as community oriented organizations propelled towards self reliance.
- Develop capacities and skills of the poor and the marginalized for generating sustainable livelihoods and means of subsistence
- Emancipate women through a steady process of empowerment and exploring avenues for productive overall engagement.
- Revive and intensify local agricultural activities patterned with organic farming duly supplemented by ancillary measures of IGP.
- Facilitate the sustainable management and use of the natural resources
- Propagate water conservation and management technology and measures with added stress on sustainable drinking water.
- Promotion of community health that also provides for the development and upkeep of the physically and mentally challenged
- Disaster management and Rehabilitation of victims of natural and man-made calamities
- Develop infrastructure facilities of the poor and shelter less through housing and sanitation programs.