A special school – Assissi Vidyalaya – for the mentally retarded children was established in the year 1992 in a densely populated coastal town of Alappuzha – PoonthopeNow there are 73 children on rolls suffering from various forms of retardation. The school is owned and managed by the Changanacherry Social Service Society. The support and guidance of the Directorate of Public Instruction (DPI) Government of Kerala helps to run this home in an effective way.
The universally accepted syllabus conceived and developed by the National Institute for the Mentally Handicapped (NIMH) is followed as the curriculum. The children, having scientifically and medically accessed of their IQ, age, growth, physical abilities etc. are divided into different groups viz, case group, pre-primary, primary, secondary, pre-vocational and vocational. Till noon the classes are on academics where as the full afternoon is devoted to behavioral practices and potency development inherent in the children. Considerable time is spent on sports, crafts, arts etc.. Parental education, regular health check- up cum improvement assessment, medical and surgical corrections is also inbuilt in the program for which the service of experts is availed of from time to time.
Major accomplishments during the year 2014-15
- Conducted PTA meeting two times
- Counseling service to 12 Parents
- Vocational training to 53 students in candle making, carpet making, paper bag Making
- Conducted medical checkup once in two month
- Conducted two awareness seminar for parents and peer group.
- Conducted excursion.
- Extracurricular activities such as, dance, music, indoor & outdoor games, band set, drawings, paintings etc.
- Conducted annual sports meet.
- Annual school day celebration.